Thursday, December 8, 2016

Breastfed Infant Food Allergies Total Elimination Diet: My Own Personal How to

So my third little one, born October 11th, is throwing us for a bit of a loop. We have done the food-allergy-baby thing before, so it's not fully new, but she is WAY more sensitive (or I'm way more aware...). E ended up on Elecare at 8 months old after a bout with Salmonella and some majorly low iron. This time I'm hopefully that I can keep this little one happy and safe and breastfed!

Rewind a few weeks (back to November 19th) and we had night after night of seemingly endless screaming and crying out in pain... and the baby was fussy too! Just kidding. She had terrible reflux symptoms (screaming with a "pain" cry, pulling off the breast constantly to scream out, then latch back on and repeat, spitup- but sometimes "silent reflux" too, had to be UPRIGHT to be somewhat ok) and I had already gone soy and dairy free since October 21st (I knew the drill and her symptoms of fussy-colic we're familiar enough).

It was a weekend and we were at our wits end and she was in PAIN. So our beloved pediatrician allowed us to start her on Prevacid OTC 15mg capsules. They are a PAIN in the butt to get into her- but after 3 days she STOPPED having painful reflux episodes and was a new baby again!

Side Note: We have since found the easiest way to administer the little dots of medication is to cut it open with nail scissors, pour it into a spoon, wet a finger and pick up all the little balls with said finger, then open her mouth up and put it far into the back insider corner of her cheek. Then follow it with some water in a syringe to help her swallow it. She hates it. We hate it, but the results are awesome so it's worth it.

So little recap/New Info:
Stopped Dairy and Soy October 21st.
Stopped Peanut Butter and Tree Nuts November 18th.
Stopped Wheat and Corn November 19th.
Started Prevacid November 19th.
Stopped Eggs November 21st.
TED (Total Elimination Diet) started November 30th.

Symptoms:
Tummy aches
Gas
Straining to poop
Mucus in poop
Blood in poop (though not visible- pediatrician tested and found it- so not a lot)
Spitting up
Reflux (Cried when flat, gags on seemingly nothing, arches back in pain, on and off the breast screaming, etc.)
Rash (looks like infant acne, but comes and goes and spreads to neck, scalp, ears, shoulders, etc.)
Possibly (I'm convinced but it's not diagnosed) eczema

We tried Colic Calm- and at first it helped, but it wasn't enough and it turns stools black, so that made it a no-no when you're trying to check for blood/color of every poo.

After eliminating all of those foods, she would still have days where something I ate would cause the rash to flair and her to be really upset and in pain (tummy) at night, and her poops to return to green/mucus/mess. It was so hard to try and guess what food did it- and my variety of foods was already so limited anyway. THAT'S when I decided to try and elimination diet.

Simple? Nope. For every google search of an elimination diet you'll find a new suggested food list.I'm still not fully convinced about my current list- but it is definitely the BEST she has been, so it's good "enough" for now. GI (I asked for a referral to see GI so that I can get in with the GI nutritionalist- hopefully he can help me sort out my eating too) basically told me to try my best to eat things that don't totally throw her and then switch to Elecare when I can't take it anymore- with a goal of her reaching 3-months-old breastfed... that I wont be able to find out what things are messing with her... I don't like that plan.

Current Elimination Diet:

Probiotic supplement
Prenatal Vitamin
Sweet Potatoes
White Rice
Chicken (with salt and pepper only)
Cooked Green Beans (considered a legume, but usually better tolerated)
Earth Balance Butter (a butter substitute that I'm praying she can handle because... yum).
Cooked Asparagus
White Potatoes
Marshmallows (because I'm weak- but I try not to)

One day I got the bright idea that a black rice would have more protein... That went HORRIBLY. She broke out in a rash and was super fussy, and cue poop issues too. So I researched and found out that apparently white rice is devoid of all the crap that people react to (usually... some people can't even do white rice). Feel free to check it out here- it's kind of interesting.

Another idea was to try loading up on white potatoes because FRENCH FRIES (home made- with no possible contamination) and CHIPS! Well... low and behold she seems to have a body-hatred for what I am now learning are called "night shades." Check it out. But basically Tomatoes, white potatoes, peppers, certain spices, eggplant... I tried purple potatoes because a friend grew them... apparently it's more a Night Shade and NOT a Sweet Potato. Sweet potatoes are NOT night shades and she tolerates them well.

This is an example of how the rash presents (usually lasts for the day- if I can find and cut the offending item, if not, it will worsen and last longer).



If I figure it out, I am rewarded with a happy and fairly clear-skinned child:


Trying to be creative during an elimination diet doesn't always pay off either...
Tried making chicken soup- the broth had potato starch and she was a little pissy about it.
Tried buying rice crackers- they were made with brown rice. whoops.
Tried eating rice pasta. BIG mistake. It had rice and RICE BRAN which is apparently the DEVIL to my daughters' system.
Tried buying (though now I am making my own with this recipe) rice milk. The store bought has brown rice. Killin' me.
Rice Krispie cereal and Chex rice cereal seem to be ok. Not a banner choice- but hey, it has some crunch!

So for now what I am looking for is a three day stretch with NO (or VERY little) rash, mucus poo, pain, etc. so that I know I've hit the base-line-jackpot for elimination. I think we're almost there (stupid purple potato set us back a little). And once we are, my plan is to add foods in one at a time for 3-4 days each to be sure they are ok. If they're not, let her clear up again and try a new food. I do NOT eat out anymore. I make everything at home. It's really not so bad (talk to me in a few more weeks though...).

My next food to try is going to be beef. I'm gonna try and stick with somewhat whole30 friendly/paleo type foods. No sense waisting days trying foods that are more likely to be a problem- that would just means more days with less choices! I've made myself a little chart that I fill out each day- sounds like a lot, but it's on a clipboard on the countertop so it's no big deal. I made a little scale system for her symptoms throughout the day, and write down what I eat- I'll attach the page in case it's helpful. Anyway. Long story not so short: it's going well! This diet is totally my CHOICE. I don't feel forced into it- though I am aware of the price tag on Elecare (OUCH!) and that it constipated the heck out of our son. Truthfully, the way I see it right now is that they're only this little for a VERY short time. In the long run I can eat whatever I want- and probably shouldn't live that way anyway :) I'm trying to be very positive and deciding that this is an opportunity for food to be put in it's place and take it off the "throne" (God help me!).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers